While perusing Pinterest, I came across an Indonesian inspired chicken dish by Menu Musings. Never one to leave well enough alone, I made some changes, To make things juicier, I went for thighs rather than breasts (that sounds dirty). To spice things up, I added a chopped Habañero to the marinade, If you don’t like things quite so spicy, you can use a Serrano or jalapeño pepper, or leave the pepper out completely.
Coconut Lime Chicken
- 6 boneless. skinless chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- zest and juice of 1 large lime
- 1 Habañero pepper, finely minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place chicken thighs in a one gallon zip-top bag.
- Combine canola oil, line zest and juice, Habañero pepper, cumin, soy sauce, kosher salt, sugar, curry powder, coconut milk in a small bowl
- Pour marinade over the chicken and refrigerate 2 hours up to overnight
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using tongs, remove chicken from marinade and arrange in a 9 X 13 inch glass dish. Bake in preheated oven until done, about 30 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, combine marinade and stock in a small saucepan. Bring it to a full boil over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until reduced by about one-third.
- In skillet or sauté pan. sauté onions in vegetable oil until translucent. Combine sautéed onions with sauce
- Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve.